Skip to content

Health Insurance Requirement for Students

Duke requires that all students studying away from Duke’s campus on a Duke-administered program, including Duke Immerse, be covered by adequate sickness and accident insurance from a U.S.-based insurance carrier for the duration of their programs. If students are planning to use their existing domestic insurance carrier during a study abroad program, they should make sure that their coverage will extend abroad, as they will be financially responsible for all medical expenses incurred during their study abroad/away programs. 

Students are encouraged to review and understand their coverage prior to departure. In most instances, medical expenses incurred abroad will first need to be paid for by the student out of pocket, after which they will need to seek reimbursement from their insurance company. 

Duke students studying away can elect to purchase the Duke Student Medical Insurance Plan (SMIP), administered by Blue Cross/Blue Shield of North Carolina. They should see the following website for more information: 

Non-Duke students in need of insurance coverage abroad should consult the student services and/or study abroad offices of their home institutions for suggestions or recommendations. 

All students should note that subscribing to local insurance coverage, as required by certain countries, programs, and/or foreign institutions, does not exempt students from the requirement of having U.S.-based coverage while on their study abroad/away program.